Today was our last day hosting our amazing friends from Parkview! They presented us with this beautiful gift at an assembly today. Each leaf has the name of one of our students along with a big thank you. Over the past 7 weeks we have become a big family and they will be missed, but we are happy they get to go back to their own school. This has been a great lesson in living what we preach at South Canoe, which is community, family, compassion and, of course, adapting to our environment.
It’s our favourite day of the year!! At South Canoe the day will be like this:
- Please no costumes with blood or weapons (including all fake ones)
- Halloween stations before and after recess — stations supervised by teachers
- Students can bring their costumes to school and put them on in the PM
- We will be doing a costume parade in the PM
We are asking that you don’t pack candy in lunches on Nov 1. If you think one kid with loads of sugar in them is a handful, try a class-full. Thanks for respecting our request 🙂
PAC will be have a meeting Tuesday Oct 22 starting at 2:30 pm. All are invited to attend 🙂
Provision of Menstrual Products in our Schools:
Every student in British Columbia should have access to healthy and effective learning environments; lack of access to menstrual products can negatively impact students’ school attendance and their social-emotional well-being. Providing all students with convenient access to free menstrual products helps to support their full participation in school activities, reduces stigma and promotes gender equality. Menstrual products are readily available to students in our school, free of charge.
Products will be available in the office for students who need them. The district is also currently working on installing dispensers into washrooms but there is no timeline of this as of yet.
Tomorrow (Sept 24) we will be observing Orange Shirt Day at South Canoe and students have been asked to wear an orange shirt or their favourite shirt to school. Launa Payne, our Indigenous Education Worker, will be doing activities and presentations with students throughout the day. Much apprecitated, Launa!
The following letter from our photographer was email out to parents today regarding student photos next week.
Hello South Canoe Families!
I am excited to be joining you for another year of fun as we capture memories and milestones together.
Individual photos will be happening the week of September 23rd. The exact date will follow as we see what the weather is looking like closer to that time.
Photo orders can be completed online again this year, but if you prefer a paper order form please don’t hesitate to ask for one. I have included a sample gallery, including print and package options and pricing. If I am missing your favourite print size or specialty item, please let me know as soon as possible so I can research it for you! https://ihanaimages.pixieset.com/southcanoe2018-caner-sylvie/
Image proofs will be available in galleries within 2 weeks after photo day.
I look forward to seeing you all soon!
Big thanks to our district painters for doing such a great job refreshing our 4-Square and hop scotches. Love the color and little details!
Hi parents and guardians! The 1st PAC meeting of the year is going to take place Sept 16th at 2:10 pm. Please join if you can. The plan is for the meeting to be relatively brief. Hope to see you there!!
Well it was a successful first day at South Canoe! Thank you parents/guardians for getting your kiddos here. Tomorrow will be our first full day of school (8:00-2:00) and we will be having our kindergarten students here for the first time.
Students will be bringing home some paper work for you to fill out. Please get that done and sent back ASAP so we don’t have to nag you later 🙂
We hope everyone has been having an amazing summer, and that all of the children are looking forward to starting a new school year!!
Here are a few things to keep in mind, as we approach the start of our new school year:
- Office Hours. The school office will be open from 8:30 – 2:30, starting Monday, August 26th. Our secretary, Mrs. Green, along with Mr. King (Principal) will be in the school all week, preparing for a new school year and welcoming any parents/students who wish to stop by and say “hi”. We do have some student report cards and personal items which were not picked up in June. If you did not receive your child’s report card in June, feel free to stop by and pick up the report card.
- New Student Registration. Registration for new students will take place on Tuesday, August 27th. When coming to register your child(ren), please bring each child’s birth certificate and BC Services Card (or equivalent provincial medical card), .
- First Week of School. The Grade 1 – 7 students will start school on Tuesday, September 3rd. When the welcoming drum happens at 8:00, the students will line-up in the same spot as they did each day last year. Students will spend the first day in grade groups, so we can determine who has moved away and who has recently registered. On September 3rd, students will be dismissed at 11:00 am. On Wednesday Sept. 4, class lists will be posted and students will be able to go to their classrooms for the year and meet their teachers. Kindergarten students will begin their gradual entry on Wednesday, September 4th.
- CHEQ — Childhood Experiences Questionnaire — This questionnaire will be completed by parents of kindergarten parents while their child is with their teacher. Ideally, we would like parents to be away from their child during this time so the children can feel what it’s like to be in class, without parents.
- School Supplies. Families do not need to go out and purchase school supplies for their children. The school has purchased school supplies for each classroom, and families are charged a School Supply Fee to cover the cost of the supplies used over the course of year. In preparation for the first day, students will need to have a backpack and a clean pair of indoor runners (with non-marking soles). To view a copy of the 2019-2020 School Fee Schedule, please click on the link below: